Friday, July 21, 2006

No reference to fees and plenty of free advice time?

A new contact called me last week as she wanted to ask me some questions that she was too embarassed to ask her accountant. I was happy to help but I was confused; her questions were exactly those that I would expect to be directed at one's accountant. And I'm sure her accountant would not have thought her odd, silly or difficult had she asked him. Indeed I suggested that did so.

The exchange got me wondering however whether this is a common occurrence?

Let's call my caller Sindy. I learned that she had only engaged her accountant earlier this year and he had given her plenty of his time for free so far. However she did not recall him making any reference to fees or the basis on which he will be charging her. Having had various very positive and helpful chats with the accountants, Sindy is convinced that he is not suddenly going to sting her with a big bill for fees.

Sindy told me that she had found the accountant on the web and had checked out his website - she had decided that she wouldn't even both approaching anyone without a website. The accountant had spent 90 mins with her as part of his initial 30(!) mins free consultation - and had agreed he wouldn't be charging for the additional time - he liked her and was interested in her business.

I assumed the accountant was a one-man band in which case what Sindy was telling me was quite feasible.

I have since looked him up on the web and see that his firm claims to be one of the leading accountancy practices in the South East, with a team of sixty staff. This puts a whole different complexion on things and makes me more cynical. I'm sorry but now I doubt that Sindy's confidence is justified.

The guy Sindy saw might well be reasonable but I wonder whether the rest of the firm operates in the same way. I've yet to find a larger firm that can manage to do so. Certainly this one claims to operate on the basis of fixed fees - so hopefully Sindy is ok. I'd be delighted if my fears on her behalf are unfounded. Time will tell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home